Dual-band, 802.11ac Wave 2 access point with external antenna connectors for general-purpose Wi-Fi and focused coverage
General purpose, cloud-managed 802.11ac wireless
The Cisco Meraki MR42E is a cloud-managed 3×3 MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2 access point. Designed for general purpose deployments in offices, schools, shops, and hotels, the MR42E provides performance, security, and manageability. The MR42E provides a maximum 1.5 Gbps frame rate with concurrent 802.11ac Wave 2 and 802.11n 3×3:3 MIMO radios, and security and spectrum visibility via a third radio dedicated to 24×7 WIDS/WIPS and automated RF optimization. An integrated Bluetooth low energy (BLE) radio delivers Beacon functionality and BLE device scanning.
The MR42E supports a variety of smart, auto-detectable external antenna that can deliver both focused, targeted coverage in challenging RF scenarios as well as broader coverage in a variety of environments, including those with very high ceilings. These antenna include panel and panel downtilt omni-directionals, wide patch, and narrow patch options.
The combination of cloud management, 802.11ac Wave 2, full-time RF environment scanning, and an integrated Bluetooth technology delivers the high throughput, reliability, and flexibility required by the most demanding business applications like voice and high-definition streaming video, both today and tomorrow.
MR42E and Meraki cloud management: a powerful combination
Management of the MR42E is handled through the Meraki dashboard, an intuitive browser-based interface that enables rapid deployment across multiple sites without the need for timeconsuming training or costly certifications.
Since the MR42E is self-configuring and managed over the web, it can be deployed at a remote location in a matter of minutes, even without on-site IT staff. 24×7 monitoring via the Meraki cloud delivers real-time alerts if the network encounters problems. Remote diagnostic tools enable immediate troubleshooting so that distributed networks can be managed with a minimum of hassle.
The MR42E’s firmware is automatically kept up to date via the cloud. New features, bug fixes, and enhancements are delivered seamlessly over the web. This means no manual software updates to download or missing security patches to worry about.
- External antenna connectors
- 3 x 3 MU-MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2
- 1.9 Gbps aggregate dual-band frame rate
- 24 x 7 real-time WIPS/WIDS and spectrum analytics via dedicated third radio
- Integrated Bluetooth Low Energy Beacon and scanning radio
- Enhanced transmit power and receive sensitivity
- Full-time Wifi location tracking via dedicated 3rd radio
- Integrated enterprise security and guest access
- Application-aware traffic shaping
- Self-configuring, plug-and-play deployment
- Sleek, low-profile design blends into office environments
- Optimized for voice and video
Aggregate data rate of up to 1.9 Gbps
A 5 GHz 3×3:3 802.11ac Wave 2 radio and a 2.4 GHz 2×2:2 802.11ac radio offer a combined aggregate dual-band data rate of 1.9 Gbps. Supports up to 1,300 Mbps in the 5 GHz band (with 3SS/VHT80 clients) and 600 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band (with 3SS/VHT40 clients). Technologies like transmit beamforming and enhanced receive sensitivity allow the MR42E to support a higher client density than typical enterprise-class access points, resulting in fewer required APs for a given deployment.
Dedicated third radio delivers 24×7 wireless security and RF analytics
The MR42E’s sophisticated, dedicated dual-band third radio scans the environment continuously, characterizing RF interference and containing wireless threats like rogue access points. No more need to choose between wireless security, advanced RF analysis, and serving client data: a dedicated third radio means that all three occur in real-time, without any impact to client traffic or AP throughput.
Bluetooth low energy Beacon and scanning
An integrated Bluetooth low energy radio provides seamless deployment of BLE Beacon functionality and effortless visibility of BLE devices within range of the AP. The MR42E enables the next generation of location-aware applications and engagement right out of the box.
Automatic cloud-based RF optimization
The MR42E’s sophisticated, automated RF optimization means that there is no need for the dedicated hardware and RF expertise typically required to tune a wireless network. The real-time fullspectrum RF analysis data collected by the dedicated third radio is continuously fed back to the Meraki cloud. The Meraki cloud then automatically tunes the MR42E’s channel selection, transmit power, and client connection settings for optimal performance under the most challenging RF conditions.
Secure wireless environments using 24×7 Air Marshal
No longer choose between a wireless intrusion prevention system (WIPS) and serving client data: thanks to the dedicated third radio, Air Marshal, a highly optimized built-in WIPS, scans continuously for threats and remediates them as commanded, all without disrupting client service. Alarms and optional auto-containment of rogue APs are configured via flexible remediation policies, ensuring optimal security and performance in even the most challenging wireless environments.
Integrated enterprise security and guest access
The MR42E features integrated, easy-to-use security technologies to provide secure connectivity for employees and guests alike. Advanced security features such as AES hardware-based encryption and WPA2-Enterprise authentication with 802.1X and Active Directory integration provide wire-like security while still being easy to configure. One-click guest isolation provides secure, Internet-only access for visitors. Our policy firewall (Identity Policy Manager) enables group or device-based, granular access policy control. Meraki Teleworker VPN makes it easy to extend the corporate LAN to remote sites, without requiring all clients and devices to have client VPN software. PCI compliance reports check network settings against PCI requirements to simplify secure retail deployments.
Application-aware traffic shaping
The MR42E includes an integrated Layer 7 packet inspection, classification, and control engine, enabling you to set QoS policies based on traffic type. Prioritize your mission critical applications, while setting limits on recreational traffic, e.g., peer-to-peer and video streaming.
Voice and Video optimization
Industry standard QoS features are easy to configure like Wireless Multi Media (WMM) Access Categories, 802.1p, and DSCP.
Low-profile, environmentally friendly design
Despite its robust feature set, the MR42E is packaged in a sleek, low-profile enclosure that blends seamlessly into any environment. Energy-saving components and intelligent power management techniques deliver best-in-class energy efficient performance and mean that pollution, material utilization, and your electric bill are kept to a minimum.
Self-configuring, self-optimizing, self-healing
When plugged in, the MR42E automatically connects to the Meraki cloud, downloads its configuration, and joins the appropriate network. The MR42E then self-optimizes, determining the ideal channel, transmit power, and client connection parameters. As necessary, it will also self-heal, responding automatically to switch failures and other errors.
Drill down into the details of your network usage with highly granular traffic analytics. Extend your visibility into the physical world with journey tracking through location analytics. View visitor numbers, dwell time, repeat visit rates, and track trends. View real-time, per-radio spectrum analytics to troubleshoot nearby interference. Analyze AP events, client utilization, and bandwidth usage on a per-radio basis. Fully customize your analysis with raw data available via simple APIs
- 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n client access radio
- 5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac client access radio
- 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz dual-band WIDS/WIPS, spectrum analysis, & location analytics radio
- 2.4 GHz Bluetooth radio with Bluetooth Low Energy
(BLE) and Beacon support
- Concurrent operation of all four radios
- Max dual-radio aggregate frame rate 1.9 Gbit/s
- Supported frequency bands (country-specific restrictions apply):
5.150-5.250 GHz (UNII-1)
5.250-5.350 GHZ (UNII-2)
5.470-5.600, 5.660-5.725 GHz (UNII-2e)
5.725 -5.825 GHz (UNII-3)
- Integrated omni-directional antennas (5 dBi gain at 2.4 GHz, 5.5 dBi gain at 5 GHz)
- Individual antenna elements for each radio
802.11ac Wave 2 and 802.11n Capabilities
- 3 x 3 multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) with three spatial streams
- SU-MIMO and MU-MIMO support
- Maximal ratio combining (MRC) & beamforming
- 20 and 40 MHz channels (802.11n), 20, 40, and 80 MHz channels (802.11ac)
- Up to 256-QAM on both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz
- Packet aggregation
- Power over Ethernet: 37 – 57 V (802.3at required with functionality-restricted 802.3af mode supported)
- Alternative 12 V DC input
- Power consumption: 20W max (802.3at)
- Power over Ethernet injector and DC adapter sold separately
- Multi color & multi function status indicator
- 1x 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet (RJ45)
- 1x DC power connector (5.5 mm x 2.5 mm, center positive)
- All standard mounting hardware included
- Desktop, ceiling, and wall mount capable
- Ceiling tile rail (9/16, 15/16 or 1 ½” flush or recessed rails), assorted cable junction boxes
- Bubble level on mounting cradle for accurate horizontal wall mounting
- Two security screw options (included)
- Kensington lock hard point
- Concealed mount plate with anti-tamper cable bay
- Operating temperature: 32 °F to 104 °F (0 °C to 40 °C)
- Humidity: 5 to 95% non-condensing
- 10.0″ x 6.1″ x 1.5″ (253.4 mm x 155.8 mm x 37.1 mm), not including deskmount feet or mount plate
- Weight: 25 oz (0.7kg)
- PMK and OKC credential support for fast Layer 2 roaming
- Distributed or centralized layer 3 roaming
- Integrated Layer 7 firewall with mobile device policy management
- Real-time WIDS/WIPS with alerting and automatic rogue AP containment with Air Marshal
- Flexible guest access with device isolation
- VLAN tagging (802.1q) and tunneling with IPsec VPN
- PCI compliance reporting
- WEP, WPA, WPA2-PSK, WPA2-Enterprise with 802.1X
- EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, EAP-MSCHAPv2, EAP-SIM
- TKIP and AES encryption
- Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) & Mobile Device Management (MDM) integration
Quality of Service
- Advanced Power Save (U-APSD)
- WMM Access Categories with DSCP and 802.1p support
- Layer 7 application trafc identification and shaping
- Embedded location analytics reporting and device tracking
- Global L7 trafc analytics reporting per network, per device, per application
- Lifetime hardware warranty with advanced replacement included